The Public Service Commission (PSC) has directed that only 10 per cent of civil servants in all line Ministries, Departments and Agencies shall physically report for work at their workplaces with immediate effect.
Since the tightening of the COVID-induced lockdown last month, only 40 per cent of civil servants were reporting for duty at workplaces and the figure has been reduced drastically by the latest development.
In a circular dated 19 July 2021, and addressed to all Ministries, PSC secretary Jonathan Wutawunashe said only the Ministry of Health and Child Care and designated critical services are exempted from the directive. He wrote:
All Ministries are directed to adhere to the following measures with immediate effect:
- Reduce the number of staff coming to work from 40% to 10% for all Line Ministries, Departments and Agencies with the exception of the Ministry of Health and Child Care and designated critical services with immediate effect.
- Line Ministries to rotate staff in such a manner that no employee shall remain at home for more than twenty-one (21) days at a stretch.
- The PSC shall ensure fumigation of buses daily and after each trip. Only members with proof of vaccination against COVID-19 shall board PSC buses. The PSC shall observe social distancing in buses with each bus carrying a maximum of 35 passengers.
- Heads of Ministries to continue ensuring that staff members working from home are capacitated with ICT equipment and adequate internet facilities for them to work efficiently and productively. Those coming to workplaces must also be well supported with efficient and sufficient bandwidth to facilitate the holding of virtual meetings and other e-enabled communication.
- There shall be strict monitoring and enforcement of staff attendance at workplaces. Daily staff attendance records should continue to be submitted to the PSC before 13:00 hours and any variation should be accompanied by a clear justification.
- All civil servants are considered to be front line workers as indicated by the health authorities. All Heads of ministries are therefore directed to ensure that all civil servants under their jurisdiction are vaccinated.
Wutawunashe said the PSC will continue to communicate any review as the situation is managed.