The sister-in-law of a polygamous Gweru businessman, Peter Dube (35), who brutally shot four people last Friday, two of them fatally, said she escaped death by a whisker after he attempted to shoot his five-year-old son.
Tadiwanashe Nharingo (16) said Dube only turned the gun off his son Nyasha Brendon Dube (5) to shoot at his wife’s best friend Gamuchirai Mudungwe after she wailed and intervened, trying to stop him from shooting the child.
Tadiwanashe said she held the boy tightly on her lap and against her chest on a car seat as Dube pointed the gun at them and later escaped with the child when the killer sets his sights on Gamuchirai. She said:
As he pointed the gun at his son and obviously me because the boy was on my lap, my sister’s friend, Gamuchirai, shouted and screamed at him asking why he wanted to kill his own son and me, and that is when he turned the gun on Gamuchiraai and shot her.
Thereafter, he pursued my sisters, Nyasha and Nyaradzo inside the flat while I ran away with the boy. I then heard two gunshots inside the flat and I knew my sisters had been shot at.
I became the second target, but by God’s grace, I survived together with the boy. Surely the boy was his second target and maybe myself because I was the one holding the boy.
Dube’s wife Nyasha Nharingo and her young sister Nyaradzo are in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) at Gweru Central Hospital after sustaining life-threatening gunshot wounds.
The suspected boyfriend Shelton Chinhango and Gamuchirai (30) died on the spot after being shot in the head and chest, respectively.
According to The Herald, Nyaradzo was still in critical condition in the ICU where she is set to be operated on to remove the bullet lodged in her skull.
The two injured women’s father, Bothwell Nharingo said Nyasha is out of danger and is now admitted to the female surgical ward.
Nharingo also revealed that after committing the gruesome double-murder, Dube phoned and told him about the incident. He said:
My son-in-law called me in the middle of the night and said ‘come to Bensam Flats and see what has happened.’ He did not explain so I panicked and drove to the scene.
Police were already there. My two daughters were writhing in pain with the bullets in their bodies.
Meanwhile, Acting Midlands provincial police spokesperson Assistant Inspector Ethel Mukwende on Sunday said police were still looking for Dube who dumped his silver Honda Fit car at the scene and disappeared.
- Mamombe out on $20,000 bailMDC Alliance legislator for Harare West Joana Mamombe and party activist Cecilia Chimbiri have been granted $20 000 bail each but barred from addressing a gathering exceeding 50 people, as part of their bail conditions. The duo that has a propensity of committing similar offences while on bail are facing allegations of breaching COVID-19 safety […]
- New Twist To ZIFA President Felton Kamambo’s Trial As Police Arrests Key Witness At CourtThere was drama at the Harare Magistrates Court when police detectives arrested a key witness in the trial of ZIFA president Felton Kamambo. Kamambo is accused of bribing councilors to enable his ascension to the top post. The arrest followed after the presiding Harare regional magistrate Bianca Makwande had declared the witness Robert Matoka a hostile witness […]
- RBZ Forex Auction: Zimbabwe Dollar Drops Against USDThe Zimbabwe dollar has marginally lost ground against the US dollar according to results from the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe (RBZ)’s foreign exchange auction. Results from the Tuesday, 04 May 2021 RBZ forex auction show that the weighted average fell slightly from US$1: ZWL$84.5032 last week to US$1:ZWL$84.5282 this week. This week US$4.5 million was allocated to the Small to Medium Enterprises forex auction […]
- FBC Bank In Bribery Storm Involving High Court JudgeFBC Bank (LTD) is in the eye of a bribery storm, following revelations that the bank attempted to give an inducement to a High Court judge to influence the ruling of a matter in which they were facing a lawsuit from a client. ZimMorningpPost reports that the bank appeared in court on March 30 2021, […]
- Zimbabwe Coronavirus/COVID-19 Update – 04 May 2021Here is Zimbabwe’s coronavirus or COVID-19 update or situation report by the Ministry of Health and Child Care (MoHCC) as of 04 May 2021: New cases: 34 Local Cases: 34 Returnees: 0 Deaths: 1 Tests: 1 516 Positivity (0.6%) Vaccinations: 14 440 (first dose); 7 821 (second dose) Total Cumulative Vaccinations: 452 191 (first dose); 107 586 (second dose) Recoveries: 128 National Recovery Rate: 93% […]
- Man City 2-0 PSG (Agg: 4-1): Pep Guardiola’s side make history to reach first Champions League finalPep Guardiola, who reaches the Champions League final for the first time since he won the competition with Barcelona in 2011, will now lead his side against either Chelsea or Real Madrid in the final in Istanbul on Saturday, May 29. But before that, they have domestic matters to attend to and could add the […]